MLK Days of Service
January 17th Kickoff Event, 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. at Benjamin L. Hooks Library
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. federal holiday is a perfect opportunity for Memphians to honor Dr. King’s legacy through service. The MLK Days of Service empowers individuals, strengthens communities, bridges barriers, creates solutions to social problems, and moves us closer to Dr. King’s vision of a beloved community. Leadership Memphis and Volunteer Memphis are spending the entire weekend of January 18-21 honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy by hosting four days of important volunteer work throughout the Mid-South including; Fayette, Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood in Tennessee; Desoto, Tunica, and Tate in Mississippi, and Crittenden in Arkansas.
- Friday, January 18 – Youth & Education – Members of the Mid-South community can take a step forward in enhancing our service to the youth and education activities in our community. Read to a classroom, host a field day, work in an after-school program, or work with Volunteer Memphis to create a customized experience!
- Saturday, January 19 – Family & Friends Day – By popular demand, Volunteer Memphis has created a day through which families and groups of friends can help build community through volunteer service. Serve alongside family and friends. Special projects will be available for volunteers of all ages.
- Sunday, January 20 – Service Sunday – Work with your church or local community centers to serve the needs of others on Sunday. Volunteer Memphis will work with faith-based institutions to create volunteer opportunities during the afternoon following your worship service.
- Monday, January 21 – Clean Up Monday – Volunteer Memphis is partnering with Clean Memphis and Memphis City Beautiful to host a citywide cleanup project. Participate with your neighborhood, school, church, or community center to clean up the community.
MLK Days of Service Sponsors:
- The Commercial Appeal
- Memphis City Beautiful
- Clean Memphis
- Memphis Public Libraries
- Mid-South Food Bank
- Shelby County Government
- United Way of the Mid-South
If you are interested in being a service partner or volunteer for MLK Days of Service, please contact Andrea Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org.