Director – Finance and Administration
Reports to President/CEO
Type of Position
Commensurate With Experience
Major Medical Insurance, Long/Short-Term Disability, Simple IRA Match, Paid Holidays, PTO Annual Accrual-3 Weeks time in Yr 1, Life Insurance, and Mileage Reimbursement per policy
The Director-Finance and Administration (F&A) will support the mission of Leadership Memphis – prepare and mobilize leaders to work together for the good of the whole community – with responsibility for assisting the President & CEO and the Board of Directors on strategy, financial management, grant compliance, reporting, accounting activities, general compliance, and audits. S/he will be responsible for managing the third-party accounting firm’s performance. The Director-F&A will need to be knowledgeable in finance & accounting (GAAP) and possess strong project management and database skills.
- Provide timely and accurate financial analyses, reporting, and forecasts to the team and the Board. Act as the liaison to the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee. Provide information and recommendations regarding improving the financial condition of Leadership Memphis
- Oversee and manage performance of third-party accounting firm and any other financial services/platform providers.
- Manage all financial and compliance aspects of existing and, as needed, potential grants, working closely with the Project Director-Grants and staff. Assist with the preparation of grant/project award requests, budgets, appropriate coding and processing of related expenses, and reporting as requested.
- In close partnership with the President/CEO, drive the annual budgeting process
- Work with the CEO staff/directors as appropriate in achieving financial management goals.
- Perform basic accounting tasks such as timely invoice processing and receivables management; maintain schedule of AP invoices, facilitate timely submission to CPA firm, and monitor payment; submit credit card transaction summary inclusive of GL coding to CPA firm and ensure completeness of receipts, obtain President/CEO approval, and pay statement timely; deposit checks received via remote check capture process on a timely basis.
- Reconcile pledge and payment activity with Raisers Edge system, general ledger (third-party accounting firm’s system), and bank account on a monthly basis.
- Establish and monitor adequate internal controls
- Develop and maintain SOPs for revenue and disbursement processes as well as identify opportunities to leverage technology to improve efficiency and efficacy
- Support the President/CEO on matters of general compliance.
- As required, support the President/CEO and the team with oversight, compliance and administrative support in the following specific areas –
- IT Administration to assure the safety and security of the Company’s physical technology assets as well as company proprietary information.
- HR Administration, including payroll oversight, to assure that the appropriate documentation is obtained, secured and maintained as related to employee records, payroll related documents, benefits information, etc
- Assist with resolution of Blackbaud/Raisers Edge platform issues as required
- Coordinate the annual financial audit
- Manage other projects as required and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree; 3-5 years experience, with prior work experience with a non-profit organization or managing the finances for a non-profit.
- Demonstrated business acumen, a robust understanding of the revenue and disbursement cycle as well as database management, reporting, and financial analysis
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage projects and prioritize to meet deadlines with effective time management skills.
- Demonstrated high degree of professionalism, tact and diplomacy, and sensitivity to highly confidential information.
- Strong computer skills needed, including Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and familiarity with databases.
- Willingness to use personal vehicle to transport during events
- Flexibility to work additional hours/days at month/quarter close.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required to support LM programs and events
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- CPA and/or related certifications
- Prior experience working with grants including reporting, budgeting, writing, etc
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
- Detail-oriented as well as critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Must be self-motivated, able to work well both independently and collaboratively; proven success working as member of a team.
- Ability to teach/mentor others to higher level of financial understanding and fluency
- Ability to assess current processes with a strong desire for continuous improvement as indicated
- Energetic and confident in working with different personalities with strong communication skills.
Qualified candidates should submit their resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note what position you are applying for in the subject line of the e-mail.