Director — Development & Engagement
The Director – Development & Engagement (D&E) will spearhead development efforts as Leadership Memphis continues to grow and expand its impact on our community. S/he will have responsibility for development and execution of LM annual fundraising and sponsorship plans, along with all related tracking, reporting and analysis of results. S/he will be responsible for developing outreach, engagement and communication strategies to individuals (alumni, BOD), community, foundations and corporations as well as data base development and maintenance. Director-D & E will be responsible for scheduling and development of related and assigned special signature events (networking events, projects, signature events). S/he will also have responsibility for marketing and communication to include website and social media strategy in partnership with third-party marketing firm. S/he will be responsible for staffing specific Board sub-committees and meeting with and reporting to them regularly.
Interested candidates should forward a cover e-mail and resume to email@example.com. Please reference the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. Recruitment for this position will close on January 17, 2022.
Base salary commensurate with experience
Major Medical Insurance, Long/Short-Term Disability, Simple IRA Match, Paid Holidays, PTO Annual Accrual-3 Weeks time in Yr 1, Life Insurance, and Mileage Reimbursement per policy.
- Develop, in partnership with the CEO and BOD, and execute Leadership Memphis’ annual fundraising & development plan. Support/advise individual directors with their fundraising responsibilities.
- Secure financial support from individuals (alumni, BOD), foundations and other grant entities, and corporations.
- Write grants as required
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all individual, foundation and corporate fundraising. Provide analysis to better target fundraising efforts.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Manage the full implementation and maintenance (system updates, accuracy) of Raiser’s Edge/Blackbaud platform and, as appropriate, oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Direct and oversee LM/VM any legacy donor management systems and databases, including the alumni database.
- Monitor and, in accordance with LM/VM accounting processes, process incoming donations.
- Assure that appropriate donor acknowledgments are sent out in a timely manner and that recognition activities/information is up to date.
DONOR, ALUMNI & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- Creating and executing a strategy for donor, alumni and community relations to assure continued engagement and encourage ongoing financial support. Manage the work of the Alumni Coordinator to achieve the strategy.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Develop and oversee the donor, alumni and community engagement calendar
- Develop a plan to assure an accurate and current alumni database
- Drive recruitment for LM program participants via the alumni, donor and corporate sponsorship contacts and effort.
- Direct the scheduling and development of related and assigned special events (networking events, projects, assigned signature events i.e. MC Breakfast, Holiday Party, Leadership Luncheon).
- Coordinate with other Directors as needed on their assigned events to assure fiscal responsibility, brand awareness and success across all LM/VM events and programs.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Develop and assure execution of LM/VM marketing and brand awareness strategy to include website, social media, media relations, etc.
- Initiate and direct development of community and alumni communications in partnership with the Alumni Engagement Coordinator and the third-party marketing firm i.e. newsletters, periodic letters, etc.
- Identify and/or support opportunities to partner with similar organizations to enhance the LM/VM brand awareness
- Manage and direct third party event resources for assigned events and the Alumni Engagement Coordinator
- Staff, train and meet regularly with related Board sub-committees as required.
- Meet and present to full Board and Executive Committee as required (Staff four board Committees)
Skills and Qualifications
- Four-year degree in a related field (Marketing, Communications, Business, etc.) with at least 4 years of experience in a related role and at least 2 of those in a non-profit organization in a fundraising role
- Evidence of meeting organizational fundraising goals
- Evidence of managing special events successfully
- Knowledge and experience with grant writing
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Willingness to transport event and program materials in personal vehicle
- CFRE certification
Competencies for Success
- Excellent, demonstrated organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead and direct others
- Skilled communicator, with superior interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Persuasive with excellent customer service sensibilities
- Ability to “read the room” and adjust message accordingly to reach intended audience