LITE Memphis Student Entrepreneurs on the Rise
Posted by: Jurnee Taylor at
Wednesday, December 7, 2016
Did you know the next great entrepreneurial idea in Memphis could be chosen by you?
Let’s Innovate Through Education (LITE) is giving 25 students the chance to pitch their entrepreneurial ideas to the community this Friday, December 9th, at Memphis Bioworks.
Participating in this program are African-American and Latino students from public and charter schools across the city. These students will have the opportunity to showcase their idea on stage in front of a sold out crowd of 250 people. After six months of working on their projects, the time has come for these students to show what they’ve got.
Their ideas range from popup theatre one-act plays for students to express their feelings on community issues to customized job prep boxes for homeless communities in Memphis.
These entrepreneurs received over 16,000 votes for the best video pitch on litememphis.com. Out of the 25, the top seven with the most votes will pitch on stage at Pitch Night for the chance at $500 in funding. The other 18 students will pitch from booths through elevator pitches and will also compete for $500 in funding.
The event is from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm and LITE has asked for those who will be in attendance to arrive on time in order to give each student the equal opportunity of funding. Meaning, punctuality is key in order to give each student extra support for their idea.
At this point, if you’re not sold, don’t worry there’s more.
Here’s five reasons why Memphis needs LITE:
- They’ve secured over $2.6 million in merit scholarships for the class of 2016 finalists. 86% of these students reported significant growth in career skills.
- The program allows students to launch their business ideas through entrepreneurial curriculum, seed investment, and mentor matching.
- LITE helps students locate scholarships to pay for college so that they can access opportunities for intellectual and professional growth.
- Their program works with college students to identify internships that align with their passions.
- 100% of their students have graduated high school.
LITE is a great example of how you #DoGoodinMEM. You can add your name to LITE’s Pitch Night wait list at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lite-pitch-night-tickets-28165939082. Learn more about the organization at www.litememphis.com