Posted by: Andrew Bartolotta | Matt Perkins at
Monday, March 16, 2015
Content Provided by:
Volunteer Memphis | www.volunteermemphis.org
Spring is blooming and Memphians are ready to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather and countless outdoor activities. From biking Shelby Farms to enjoying the Memphis Farmers Market, outdoor activities in Memphis are endless.
It takes hundreds of dedicated Memphians to make sure our public outdoor spaces and surroundings are boasting beautiful blooms. Here are 25 ways you can make sure our city is enjoyable this spring.
Volunteer opportunities at Overton Park
- Overton Park needs volunteers to help perform garden and grounds maintenance year round.
- Overton Park Conservancy needs volunteers to provide assistance for rentals and special events year round.
- Overton Park Conservancy is looking for large organizations, such as businesses, churches, and schools, to participate in their group work days.
Volunteer opportunities at Shelby Farms Park
- Shelby Farms Park is looking for volunteers to assist with their Eco-EGGStravanganza Saturday, April 4, 2014 from 9am to 4pm. Duties would include helping with the set-up, egg hunt, fishing rodeo and more.
- Shelby Farms needs urban garden volunteers to assist Ben Townsend in caring for the Greenline Gardens on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Shelby Farms needs volunteers to help with their Earth Day 5k April 19, 2015 at 2pm. Duties include finish line tree planting, Water Stations, Course Monitors, and Registration
- Every Saturday in March, 9am - noon, Shelby Farms needs volunteers to help plant trees around the park.
Join the city’s largest cleanup April 18 - 26 with Faith in Action Memphis
- Faith in Action Memphis Cleanup 2015 needs volunteers to help beautify the city. This week long event takes place April 18-26 at various locations throughout Memphis.
Volunteer at local 5k races
- Assist at the Kickit 5k to help beat Pancreatic Cancer on March 22.
- Volunteer at the Opening Eyes to Autism 5k April 17 in Downtown Memphis.
- Youth Villages needs volunteers to help with setup, registration, cleanup, and operating one of their multiple stations for their 5K&10Miler race on Saturday, April 18 from 7am to 12pm.
- Volunteer at the Memphis Color Vibe 5k in Downtown Memphis May 30.
Volunteer at Memphis Botanic Garden
- The Memphis Botanic Garden needs volunteers to help with their Arbor Day Campfire Party on Friday, March 20 at 5:30pm to 8:30 pm. Areas help will be needed in are tending to the fire pits, prepping and serving at the food and beverage stations, and helping to assist with the children's craft.
- Become Children's Garden Volunteers
Tuesday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Sunday - Monday 11:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
There are four types of Volunteer Opportunities in the Children's Garden every day of the week:
Greeters - Stationed at the entrance to My Big Backyard, Greeters welcome families and scheduled school groups to the garden, answer frequently-asked questions, and share the information and guidelines needed to ensure that all visitors have a wonderful experience.
Gardeners - Our Gardener volunteers make a hands-on contribution to the beautification of My Big Backyard. Gardeners coordinate with our Horticulture Department on the specific needs of the garden. There is always something to do!
Play and Learn Supporters (PALS) - Lend a hand with a variety of activities throughout My Big Backyard! PALS can share information, make new friends, and facilitate play with special toys and props designed for use in specific parts of the garden.
Educators - With a broad range of children's education programming in My Big Backyard, Educators are needed during the week, on weekends, and for special evening events. Experience in education is helpful but not required; all you need is a passion for teaching or leading activities.
Volunteer with Clean Memphis
- Volunteers are needed to help with the Grits and Grime Community Cleanup Project March 23 at 9am. Join Clean Memphis, The Power Center Academy and The Memphis Grizzlies'Team Up Mentors as they work to clean up Germanshire Park.
- Volunteers are needed to partner with Clean Memphis, Grizzlies TEAM UP, and Power Center Academy as they launch a 3-year cleanup campaign along the Nonconnah Watershed Saturday, March 28, 2015.
- Help cleanup Madison Ave. during the annual MAD SWEEP Cleanup hosted by The Madison Avenue Business Association with Clean Memphis on April 18, 2015.
- Hook Up 2 Cleanup around Ed Rice Community Center in Frayser on April 18, 2015.
Other outdoor volunteer opportunities March - May
- MEMFix is looking for volunteers to help them with their goal of re energizing and reimaging the Pinch district.
- The Memphis Farmers Market will need volunteers to help on market days, Saturdays, April 4 through Nov. 21, 2015.
- The Society of St. Andrew is looking for Field Gleaners to help collect and bag produce from designated orchards, and deliver them to the designated receiving agencies.
- The National MS Society's Mid South Chapter needs volunteers to help with their Memphis Walk MS fundraising walk on Saturday, April 18th.
- If you love working with animals, The Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County is always looking for volunteers to help walk dogs.
- A Habitat Detective Volunteer at Lichterman Nature Center is needed to help greet and assist students and chaperones, as well as transition them between different exhibits until May 31.
- Backyard Wildlife Center Volunteer at Lichterman Nature Center is needed to help prepare meal and clean the animal areas.
Find out more ways to give back in the Bluff City by visiting Leadership Memphis' action initiative, Volunteer Memphis' website at www.volunteermemphis.org